Skip to main content

Didn't want you to miss Brad's White House Blog.....

from Brad's Blog:
I've been to the White House five or six times over the years, but none of those times did I ever pick up an instrument.
It was always for some event.
"Hey, there's a reception. Come eat some finger foods, and look around and be in awe like everybody else."
But this time, the phone call was essentially, "We would like to know if Brad would be interested in performing at the White House in the East Room."
It was as simple as that. It's like, "Yes! More than yes. I'm floored. Why?!"
And I could never get the answer why. They just wanted me to play.
Ironically, I read this story just last week on CNN about Michelle Obama's great-great grandfather, Jim Robinson, who was a slave in South Carolina. It's insane to think about that. How the world has changed.
On November 4th, I felt an emotion like I haven't felt in my entire life. I think whoever you voted for, you had to be moved.
My grandfather was in the Philippines fighting against the Japanese during World War II -- and now I record for Sony and played Japan twice on tour, and loved every minute.
If you'd go back in time and tell my grandfather during air raid sirens, "Hang on there. Your grandson -- they're gonna love him," he never would have believed it.
On Tuesday night, I got to perform four songs, and I looked down at the president -- who was sitting about 10 feet away from me at the time -- and I said, "I think about my kids and this generation, and you are the first president they're going to remember."
I got to say that to him. And he just nodded and sort of closed his eyes. And I said, "So this is a song for our times. It's called 'Welcome to the Future.' "
The last verse is about a kid in high school who's having a difficult time, and who's black, and he has a cross burned in his yard for asking out the homecoming queen.
And the line of the chorus is, "Wake up Martin Luther, welcome to the future."
As I sang that, it was everything I could do not to lose it. I had to close my eyes, or I would completely break down. 'Cause in sound check at three in the afternoon, I started crying. I couldn't sing it. Watch the performance »
The last words that I sang were, "Glory, glory hallelujah, welcome to the future," and then I left and went offstage.
I took my hat and tipped it to him and said, "Thank you, sir." And then I came off and just started bawling, because it was so emotional for me to sing those words.
He came to me and said, "If I could sing like you," which was really cool. And then he sort of looked me in the eye and he said, "Wonderful, wonderful words." And I said, "Thank you, sir. I meant them."
Being able to deliver that message personally to one of the people who ushered in this new era is really one of the most completely, artistically satisfying moments I've ever had.
I don't think he knows that much about country music, but that's OK. We're talking about a guy born in Hawaii who lived in Chicago, so I don't know if he's been exposed to it much.
His aides said he told them he was going to download my stuff, which was really cool. I don't know if he will, but I hope he remembers to do that. I could make him a playlist, if he'd like.
I'm lucky that my current album, "American Saturday Night," has a couple of songs about being alive in these times -- that are about our country and are semi-patriotic. Because you know me -- up 'til this time, I've sung about beer, fishing, love and searching for ticks.
You can't go anywhere in the White House without them taking your picture -- probably without your even knowing it. I hope that's the case. I want to think they're watching you in there.
But maybe they just don't care about napkins and ashtrays, because they certainly didn't say anything when we walked out with them! My wife did get a couple of towels -- not the hand towels, but the paper towels that are stamped with the seal -- she got a couple of those.
Everybody's a groupie in the White House. Everybody! I think if George Bush went back to visit, he go, "Hmm. Let me take some of these napkins." There's something about the White House. You've got to have swag from there if you can get it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Bryan Reigns At Spring Break Panama City

Luke Bryan's Spring Break...Here To Party Tops Billboard's Country and Top 200 Sales Charts NASHVILLE, TN – Country superstar and 2013 Academy of Country Music Awards show co-host Luke Bryan has topped the Billboard Country sales chart and earned his first #1 album on Billboard's Top 200 chart with Spring Break...Here To Party, selling 149,515 units in its first week. This is the first full-length physical album released from Bryan's five-year "Spring Break" series. The 14-track album features two new tracks as well as a collection of songs from his previously released digital "Spring Break" EPs - 2009's Spring Break...With All My Friends, 2010's Spring Break 2...Hangover Edition, 2011's Spring Break 3...It's A Shore Thing and last year's Spring Break 4...Suntan City. Though the album didn't include a radio single, Bryan did release a video for "Buzzkill," one of the album's new tracks, which can
Kenny Rogers featured in Billboard’s 50 th  Anniversary of Adult Contemporary chart   Rogers’ Ranks Sixth-Best All Time and Fourth-Best Male with 28 AC Top 10 hits Nashville, TN (August 25, 2011) – According to Billboard, Kenny Rogers’ 28 Adult Contemporary Top 10’s are sixth-best all-time, and fourth-best among men, trailing only Elton John, Neil Diamond and Elvis Presley.  Kenny Rogers' feats on the AC chart include 47 hits, tying him with Barry Manilow for seventh-most in the chart's history. No core country artist has crossed over more titles to AC. Rogers has scored eight AC No. 1s. Rogers: "I remember when [the AC charts] were established, I thought it was so cool. I've always been a believer in the strength of the song. My problem is I'm a country singer who's had a lot of other musical influences, so my stuff is going to tend to be more AC. That's always been my slam in country music, that I was never a true country artist, even though &q

They call her..The Bare Naked Bandit..29 yr Old Lee Grace Doherty

ARRESTED now in Colorado...but what a story and week for 2 brothers and their stripper sister! Text messages and tweets by three fugitive siblings who shot at a police officer and robbed a bank reveal a dangerous mindset and a firm bond between the siblings, "We've certainly seen their mindset when... They shot at a law enforcement officer outside of Tampa Bay, Fla., and when they fired inside that bank in Valdosta, Ga. But these additional texts and tweets have given us additional insight," FBI Special Agent Stephen Emmett told "Good Morning America" today. " We are concerned and feel that they are going to continue and cause problems to say the least for law enforcement." Ryan Dougherty, 21; his sister Lee Grace E. Dougherty, 29; and half-brother Dylan Dougherty Stanley, 26, have been on the lam since Aug. 2 when they shot at a police officer attempting to pull their white Subaru Impreza over for speeding. A few hours later, they robbed a bank in G