Skip to main content

Foreigner was/is Still Fantastic!!!!! SURVIVORS!!!

The list of Foreigner hits is almost as long as the list of its former members, but with songs like “Feels Like the First Time,” “Cold as Ice,” “Hot Blooded,” and “I Want to Know What Love Is,” the music has continued to thrive.
The band started by Mick Jones, Ian McDonald, Lou Gramm, Dennis Elliott, Al Greenwood and Ed Gagliardi in New York City in 1976 has survived numerous lineup changes, waning interest and, finally, a recent resurgence.
The latest CD, last year’s “Can’t Slow Down,” debuted at No. 29 on the Billboard 200. It was Foreigner’s highest-charting release since 1987. The band’s music has been featured in games like “Rock Band” and “Guitar Hero,” and last month, it played at the iTunes and High Voltage festivals, both in London.


“It was great, really very successful,” Jones told the Weekender recently from his adopted hometown of New York City. “We’ve really regained a lot of prestige, and the crowds were really into it. It’s a nice feeling when I go back to England. It’s my birthplace, it was very satisfying for me.”

Foreigner’s music may have survived the band’s tumultuous past, but the relationship between Jones, the only remaining original member, and original singer Lou Gramm did not. Kelly Hansen has been singing lead vocals for Foreigner since 2005 — and was the third singer to follow Gramm’s iconic voice.
“I think there was a bit of reticence in the beginning,” Jones confessed about Foreigner having a new voice. “Long-time fans were a little dubious about what was going on — I was, too.
“It was a sad day when Lou and I finally broke up. There was a lot of history between us, a lot of great achievements together, you know? Nothing will ever change that, but it just got to the point where we’d come to the end of the line together.”

During an impromptu jam session with drummer Jason Bonham and bassist Jeff Pilson, Bonham, a Foreigner fan, suggested that the trio do a few Foreigner songs.
“It just sounded killer,” Jones said. “From that little simple beginning, everybody was sort of encouraging me to not just close this down. So I made the decision, but I knew that I wouldn’t have made it unless I thought I could have really put a serious band together with great musicians and to really represent fully what Foreigner meant — and what it meant to me.”
Today’s Foreigner lineup also features Pilson, guitarist Thom Gimbel, keyboardist Michael Bluestein and drummer Jason Sutter.
“The last piece of the puzzle there was Lou,” Jones paused to gasp at his faux pas, before correcting himself with a laugh, “Kelly. And with his arrival, everything started to get really real, and I think the band just evolved over the last five years.
“It’s the happiest time I’ve ever had, to tell you the truth, playing and going on stage with these guys. It’s a very exciting show, and I just look forward to going on stage every night now. I’m really much, much more content and much more passionate about what I do than I had been for many years.”
Jones and Gramm have no contact these days.
“I guess time will heal,” Jones said. “But so far, (there isn’t) really anything that you’d call friendly.”
A comment like that makes a Jones/Gramm Foreigner reunion farfetched, unless, as Jones said, the band ever got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
“I definitely would be OK with that,” Jones said candidly. “This (lineup) has become so important to me now, and we’re kind of regaining the prestige a bit with the fans and new fans.
“(For me), it’s almost like we’re paying our dues again. It’s been challenging, but now it’s getting successful, and really, we’ve cut through a lot. We’ve really elevated the band status quite a bit in the last few years, and I’m quite happy about that.”

Comments

  1. love these guys, and always a fan of Mick. got the new cd/dvd as soon as it came out and it's terrific! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Luke Bryan Reigns At Spring Break Panama City

Luke Bryan's Spring Break...Here To Party Tops Billboard's Country and Top 200 Sales Charts NASHVILLE, TN – Country superstar and 2013 Academy of Country Music Awards show co-host Luke Bryan has topped the Billboard Country sales chart and earned his first #1 album on Billboard's Top 200 chart with Spring Break...Here To Party, selling 149,515 units in its first week. This is the first full-length physical album released from Bryan's five-year "Spring Break" series. The 14-track album features two new tracks as well as a collection of songs from his previously released digital "Spring Break" EPs - 2009's Spring Break...With All My Friends, 2010's Spring Break 2...Hangover Edition, 2011's Spring Break 3...It's A Shore Thing and last year's Spring Break 4...Suntan City. Though the album didn't include a radio single, Bryan did release a video for "Buzzkill," one of the album's new tracks, which can
Kenny Rogers featured in Billboard’s 50 th  Anniversary of Adult Contemporary chart   Rogers’ Ranks Sixth-Best All Time and Fourth-Best Male with 28 AC Top 10 hits Nashville, TN (August 25, 2011) – According to Billboard, Kenny Rogers’ 28 Adult Contemporary Top 10’s are sixth-best all-time, and fourth-best among men, trailing only Elton John, Neil Diamond and Elvis Presley.  Kenny Rogers' feats on the AC chart include 47 hits, tying him with Barry Manilow for seventh-most in the chart's history. No core country artist has crossed over more titles to AC. Rogers has scored eight AC No. 1s. Rogers: "I remember when [the AC charts] were established, I thought it was so cool. I've always been a believer in the strength of the song. My problem is I'm a country singer who's had a lot of other musical influences, so my stuff is going to tend to be more AC. That's always been my slam in country music, that I was never a true country artist, even though &q
Nashville, TN – November 23, 2009 – Taylor Swift won big at last night’s 37 th   Annual American Music Awards, taking home five trophies, including the evening’s biggest award, Artist of the Year. Taylor also won the awards for Favorite Female Artist (Country), Favorite Female Artist (Pop/Rock), Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist, and Favorite Album (Country – for   Fearless ). Taylor accepted her AMA Awards live via satellite from her concert stage in an empty Wembley Arena in London, where she was rehearsing for tonight’s sold-out show. Taylor and her band stayed up most of the night to watch the show live from the US, and she accepted her last award at almost 4 a.m. London time. "Music has never been ultimately about competition,” Taylor said while accepting Artist of the Year. “And to even be mentioned in a category with Michael Jackson, who we will miss and love forever, is an unimaginable honor. I just want to say that I'm sending my love to the Jackson family, and to